STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — The Staten Island Board of Realtors (SIBOR) knows that the kitchen is truly the heart of a home. The right remodel can add value to your home and increase your overall happiness in the space.
Today’s kitchens are different than those of the past. The National Association of Realtors has provided these guidelines to help with your remodel.
▪ Since functionally kitchens are multi-dimensional social environments in addition to cooking space a good kitchen today accommodates many people and tasks. “Open concept kitchen” is the hot new term since it expands the kitchen into the family room and allows for social interaction with everyone in the family room.
▪ Perhaps the biggest design feature of today’s kitchen is the center island. Peninsulas of the 1980’s and 90’s are yesterday’s news. One side of the island should have plenty of casual seating while the production side of the island can feature everything from sinks to a plain countertop work area.
▪ Clean, sleek modern styling is the pulse of the day. Ornate, dark wood cabinets are passé. Simple painted white wood, light maple and, for eco-minded home owners, bamboo cabinets are all the rage.
▪ Spend a good portion of your budget on appliances. Gone are the days when a plain refrigerator and basic stove will suffice. The fancier, the better — including even high-end “toys” like wine units, if the budget allows.
▪ Today’s wide range of materials and price points for countertops and backsplashes make these two areas the fashion statement in the kitchen. Give yourself permission to choose something unusual, dramatic or colorful. Mix materials even. When it is time to “freshen up” your kitchen in 5-7 years – yes, you read correctly! — change these two elements and you’ll be able to create a whole new look.
About The Staten Island Board of REALTORS® (SIBOR)
The Staten Island Board of REALTORS® (SIBOR) is the largest not-for-profit trade association in Staten Island, N.Y.
SIBOR exists to enhance the ability and opportunity of its members to conduct their business successfully and ethically; and to promote the preservation of the public’s right to own, transfer and use real property.
Comprised of over 1,600 members, SIBOR serves real estate agents, brokers and affiliated professionals throughout the borough and surrounding areas.
SIBOR is the provider of the Staten Island Multiple Listing Service Inc. (SIMLS), which works as a clearinghouse through which more than 250 local real estate firms exchange information on properties they have listed for sale. Together, its members participate in over 3,000 real estate transactions every year.
All SIBOR members belong to the New York State Association of REALTORS® (NYSAR) and the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR).
SIBOR may be reached at 718-979-0007 and viewed online at http://siborrealtors.com. SIBOR may also be visited on Facebook at “Staten Island Board of Realtors,” on Twitter via @SIBOR, and on YouTube at the Staten Island Board of Realtors and RelevantPR channels.
Media Contact: Barton Horowitz