STATEN ISLAND, N.Y.– First snowfall has hit Staten Island and although this was just a dusting, it makes us wonder if a heavier storm is around the corner. While snow can be a treasure of the winter season, there are also responsibilities and hazards that come along with living in a winter wonderland. The Staten Island Board of Realtors (SIBOR) would like to remind you that shoveling the snow in front of your property is important for the safety of everyone. However, improper shoveling can be dangerous to your health.
To reduce the risk of injury, the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS) suggests you do the following:
- Check with your doctor to make sure you’re healthy enough to shovel.
- Dress appropriately in layers of light, water-repellent clothing. Don’t forget the hat, gloves, and slip-resistant boots.
- Clear snow early and often. It’s easier to remove large snowfalls in multiple phases than all at once.
- Warm up before starting. Stretch or perform light exercise for 10 minutes before shoveling.
- Pace yourself, take frequent breaks, and stay hydrated by drinking water throughout.
- Push, rather than lift, the snow whenever possible.
- When lifting snow, bend at the knees with a straight back.
- When moving snow, walk and dump it as opposed to throwing it.
About The Staten Island Board of REALTORS® (SIBOR)
The Staten Island Board of REALTORS® (SIBOR) is the largest not-for-profit trade association in Staten Island, N.Y.
SIBOR exists to enhance the ability and opportunity of its members to conduct their business successfully and ethically; and to promote the preservation of the public’s right to own, transfer and use real property.
Comprised of over 1,600 members, SIBOR serves real estate agents, brokers and affiliated professionals throughout the borough and surrounding areas.
SIBOR is the provider of the Staten Island Multiple Listing Service Inc. (SIMLS), which works as a clearinghouse through which more than 250 local real estate firms exchange information on properties they have listed for sale. Together, its members participate in over 3,000 real estate transactions every year.
All SIBOR members belong to the New York State Association of REALTORS® (NYSAR) and the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR).
SIBOR may be reached at 718-979-0007 and viewed online at http://siborrealtors.com. SIBOR may also be visited on Facebook at “Staten Island Board of Realtors,” on Twitter via @SIBOR, and on YouTube at the Staten Island Board of Realtors and RelevantPR channels.
Media Contact: Barton Horowitz