Free event will provide upclose look into home buying and selling process
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — House hunters and sellers will want to take a break on Nov. 3 for a special learning experience: The Staten Island Board of Realtors (SIBOR) Homeownership Fair.
Open to the public, the free event will include essential information needed to make a sound homeownership decision.
The fair will take place 9:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., at SIBOR’s headquarters, 1535 Richmond Ave., Bulls Head. Free onsite parking is available.
Pre-Register online at www.SIBOR.com by Oct. 29, to be eligible to win an iPad; Individuals must be present for drawing.
“When it comes to buying a home or selling one, it pays to be well-informed,” said Georgianna Diaz, president of SIBOR. “Visitors to SIBOR’s Homeownership Fair will find a wealth of information related to the home buying and selling process conveniently located under one roof. It’s a wonderful, rare opportunity.”
Today, the process of deciding on a home mortgage may be fraught with pitfalls that buyers and sellers need to be familiar with. The one-stop Homeownership Fair will address many of these issues, and others, during informative sessions for those interested in learning about homeownership; the presentations will be valuable for first-time home buyers, current homeowners and sellers.
House hunters even can take advantage of a list of open houses available at the event.
EXPERTS ON SITE
An array of professionals from the banking, mortgage, legal and real estate industries will be on hand to present information about foreclosure prevention, short sales, down payment and closing costs, mortgage assistance programs, Veterans Administration programs, credit issues, tax benefits, mortgage programs; programs for seniors, and more.
In addition, the Homeownership Fair will bring together housing professionals, non-profit agencies and others dedicated to furthering fair housing throughout the Staten Island community.
Participating professionals will include representatives of Empire State Bank; Wells Fargo Home Mortgage; Allen C. Bentson Agency; Continental Home Loans; Jack Stern, Esq.; PrimeLending; Merlino & Gonzalez; Klapper & Klapper; Equity Valuation Associates; DeSantis, Kiefer, Shall & Sarcone; South Beach Capital Investments, and many local Realtors.
LEARN THE BASICS AND MORE
“Home Buying 101: Buying a Home in Today’s Real Estate Market,” a series of seminars kicking-off the event (9:30 to 10:40 a.m.), will include such titles and experts as:
- “The Local Realtor’s Role, Resources and Fair Housing;” Traci Cangiano, Realtor.
- “Tax Advantages, Renting vs. Owning;” John M. Shall, CPA, DeSantis, Kiefer, Shall & Sarcone.
- “Getting Financially Fit: Importance of Planning and Budgeting;” James Ustun, Continental Home Loans
- “Understanding Different Property Types (Single family; Two family; Co-ops and Condos);” Ken Gonzalez, Merlino & Gonzalez.
- “New Construction (Working with Builders, Design, Budget, Taxes and Zoning);” Frank Rizzo, Realtor.
- “Financing Your Home;” Jennifer Rahner, PrimeLending.
From 11 a.m. to 2:10 p.m., additional topics of importance to home buyers will include such themes and experts as:
- “Understanding the Appraisal Process;” Henry Salmon, Equity Valuation Associates.
- “Role of the Title Company;” John Merlino, Merlino & Gonzalez.
- “Credit Management: Understanding Your Credit Report and How Credit Scores Work;” Donald Martin, South Beach Capital Investments.
- “1031 Exchange, Investing in Real Estate;” Jack Stern, Esq.
- “The Mortgage Process and Closing Costs;” Phil Guarnieri, president of Empire State Bank.
- “Home Insurance;” Don Bentson, Allen C. Bentson Agency.
From 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., a variety of discussions about affordable housing programs will feature such subjects and experts as:
- “Short Sales, From A to Z;” Andrew Klapper, Klapper & Klapper.
- “FHA/HUD Programs/Freddie Mac/Fannie Mae/SONYMA;” Larry Ambrosino, Continental Home Loans.
- “REO Programs/Foreclosures/Loan Modifications;” Tom Gumb, Wells Fargo Home Mortgage.
- “VA Loans/Military Homebuyers.” Raj Rajpal, Wells Fargo Home Mortgage
- “Senior Programs — Understanding How They Work,” Joan Camerlengo, Realtor.
Onsite registration will take place 9 to 9:30 a.m. on the day of the fair.
About The Staten Island Board of REALTORS® (SIBOR)
The Staten Island Board of REALTORS® (SIBOR) is the largest not-for-profit trade association in Staten Island, N.Y.
SIBOR exists to enhance the ability and opportunity of its members to conduct their business successfully and ethically; and to promote the preservation of the public’s right to own, transfer and use real property.
Comprised of over 1,600 members, SIBOR serves real estate agents, brokers and affiliated professionals throughout the borough and surrounding areas.
SIBOR is the provider of the Staten Island Multiple Listing Service Inc. (SIMLS), which works as a clearinghouse through which more than 250 local real estate firms exchange information on properties they have listed for sale. Together, its members participate in over 3,000 real estate transactions every year.
All SIBOR members belong to the New York State Association of REALTORS® (NYSAR) and the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR).
SIBOR may be reached at 718-928-3220 and viewed online at http://siborrealtors.com. SIBOR may also be visited on Facebook at “Staten Island Living,” on Twitter via @SIBOR, and on YouTube at the Staten Island Board of Realtors and RelevantPR channels.
Media Contact: Barton Horowitz
Relevant Public Relations, LLC